The Oskaloosa Herald was founded in 1850 and is currently a twice-weekly paper that publishes on Tuesdays and Fridays. The newspaper covers Mahaska and Marion counties.
On Tuesdays, the Marion County Reminder shopper is published and distributed to much of Marion County. On Wednesdays, the Oskaloosa Shopper is published and distributed to Mahaska County and surrounding areas.
Our newspaper strives to achieve several things as part of our mission:
- To produce quality products of unquestioned credibility and integrity.
- To promote a unique identity and culture for Oskaloosa and surrounding counties to differentiate this area from the remainder of Southeast Iowa.
- To advance the business community in this area, understanding that it is those businesses, and the profits and tax dollars that they generate, which support fire, police, roads, public safety and everything from youth sports to the arts in the communities we cover.
- To treat everyone with a sense of respect and fairness.
- To be centrist, in our political viewpoints, a friend to neither the right nor the left, but to strive to support what's best, no matter the political ideology.
- To retain our role as the last "mass medium" in our communities, leaving our forums with the widest sense of openness.