Mobile Home Fire 012607

Herald photo by Michael Schaffer/Pictured are just two of several Oskaloosa firefighters who responded to this fire at 1713 Pella Ave. The trailer was home to three adults who had lived in it for approximately one year.

OSKALOOSA — The Oskaloosa Fire Department just before 3 p.m. Thursday responded to a report of a fire at Lamson Mobile Home Park, Lot No. 10, located at 1713 Pella Ave.

According to the report issued by Oskaloosa Fire Chief Frank Glandon, the fire started in the laundry room and was caused because of lint buildup in the dryer vent pipe.

The dollar amount of damage the fire caused or if the mobile home was a complete loss had yet to be determined.

The report stated there were no injuries as a result of the fire. However, one of the occupants said a cat might have been left inside.

The report didn’t specify the name of the owner, but at the time it was being rented by three young adults, one of whom was in the mobile home at the time the fire started.

Kurtis D. Waddell, 21, said he was in the mobile home with a friend who was visiting, Jesse Remmark, 20, when the fire started.

Waddell said he called the fire department a little before 3 p.m. He said he was in the bedroom when he saw smoke and started to smell something funny.

“I went in and looked in the bathroom and saw flames shooting out the door,” Waddell said.

Remmark said he was sitting in the front bedroom listening to music when the fire started.

“I walked out into the front room and I saw smoke,” Remmark said. “I walked closer so I could see the bathroom and I could see flames coming out from underneath the door. And then I grabbed the dog and got out.”

Remmark said he had been asleep just minutes prior to when the fire started.

“If I hadn’t woke up 20 minutes ago, I’d probably be fried,” he said.

A second occupant of the mobile home, Jimmy D. Haring, 21, said he was going to his mother’s house when he heard the news.

“I just heard my house was on fire and I just ran home,” he said.

Rebeca M. Ulrey, 19, the third occupant of the mobile home, was not home at the time of the fire.

An Oskaloosa Police Department officer at the scene said the Red Cross had been notified and would help assist the three occupants with shelter and clothing. The report from the Fire Department said Mahaska County Outreach had also been called to assist the three residents.

The Fire Department was in service until 4:45 p.m., for a total of one hour and 40 minutes.

Herald Staff Writer Michael Schaffer can be reached by email at mschaffer@oskyherald.com

Recommended for you