- Local News
Instilling the youth with Eddyville history
The Eddyville Historical Museum is home to many items, which chronicle the history of the town.
Linda Bonnett, a volunteer with the museum, recently talked about passing on this knowledge of Eddyville's past to the younger generation.
Nelson Pioneer Farm artifact
This past week's artifact from the Nelson Pioneer Farm is a vaporizer and lamp.
People weigh in on decorating for Christmas
When is it OK to put up Christmas lights and/or decorations?
Oskaloosa honors its veterans
Nov. 11 is a special day as the nation honors its veterans for their service and sacrifice. Oskaloosa held its remembrance service at the American Legion post Monday morning.
City, water board hold joint meeting
On Monday, a joint meeting between the Oskaloosa City Council and the Water Board of Trustees was held at city hall.
Although there were no action items on the agenda, plenty of discussion was held concerning the PFM Shared Services Analysis.
- Photo: Bobcat sighting this past weekend This photo showing a Bobcat was e-mailed to the Herald this past weekend. In part, the email reads, “We are Curt and Sharon Welch and we live straight west of the Lacy Complex here in Oskaloosa. It’s a crisp Sunday morning and while drinking coffee at our dining room table we noticed this bobcat in our backyard. He/She was hunting for RABBITS and didn’t seem too concerned about us taking pictures of him/her. It was amazing watching it bounce and speed across the yard after a rabbit.”
Oskaloosa Lions invites local veterans to join club
The Oskaloosa Lions Club is offering local U.S. veterans a special opportunity to serve their community.
The Involve a U.S. Veteran program is a nationwide initiative sponsored by Lions Clubs International that offers qualified U.S. veterans an entrance fee waiver when joining a local Lions club.
- Photo: Poppy Days proclamation Oskaloosa Mayor Dave Krutzfeldt, center, signs a proclamation Wednesday afternoon for the VFW Ladies Auxiliary Poppy Days campaign as VFW Ladies Auxiliary President Cheryl Feree, left, and VFW Ladies Auxiliary Trustee Sheryl Davis, righ, watch. The Poppy campaign begins Friday, Nov. 8, and runs through Saturday, Nov. 16. VFW Auxiliary members will have them available at Hy-Vee, Fareway, Mahaska Drug and Wal-Mart. Proceeds from Poppy Days will help Mahaska County veterans and their families, as well as local disaster victims or local school children.
- Photo: EBF spikers go to state Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont’s volleyball team celebrates its Class 2A state volleyball tournament berth after beating Des Moines Christian in five sets Wednesday night at Pella Christian High School.
Avid golfer's club collection nears 1,000
Jan McLeland, of Oskaloosa, will always have the right club for his golf game.
McLeland’s golf club collection nears 1,000 in numbers, many of which line the walls of his garage.
- More Local News Headlines
- Instilling the youth with Eddyville history