The Southern Iowa Fair will be here before too long.
The fair opens July 15 and runs through July 20. This year’s theme is “The One & Only.”
Kelly Long, office manager at The Southern Iowa Fair, said that beginning on July 15 The Great Little Bear Show will be part of the fair. She said they’ll have shows three times a day during the fair including those at 1, 4 and 6 p.m.
Long said The Great Little Bear Show includes bears doing activities like riding in a wagon and walking on their hind legs. She said that seeing animals like this will be a “big treat” for children attending the fair.
Obviously, one of the biggest draws at the Southern Iowa Fair each year is the Queen Contest. This year, it will be held at 6 p.m. on July 15.
Country singer Jason Brown will perform at the fairgrounds on July 15, as well. He’s set to hit the stage at 8 p.m.
Brown is kicking off a farm rescue concert series to raise money that helps family farms in crisis, explained Long. The first concert in this series will be his show at the Southern Iowa Fairgrounds. Local faith-based band Piercing the Darkness will open for Brown at this concert.
On July 16, the fair will continue to offer popular events like the Apple Pie Contest on the Free Stage at 9 a.m., as well as open class judging and chicken bingo, said Long.
For a lot of fair-goers, 4-H and FFA activities are a very important part of their fair experience. Long said this is an opportunity for many area youth to show the projects they’ve been working on for some time leading up to the fair.
“A lot of kids are proud of what they do,” she said. “It’s just a good learning experience for the 4-H and FFA kids.”
Motor sports are always popular at the Southern Iowa Fair. This year, the IMCA Races will feature the Hawkeye Dirt Tour Series on July 16.
“It should be a good show,” Long said.
On July 17, familiar events like the sheep show and Bible Quiz will return. The Bible Quiz will be held at the Free Stage July 17, 18 and 19 from 1 to 3 p.m. Also on July 17, fair-goers can expect to see Revelation, a youth band from First Presbyterian Church on the Free Stage at 6 p.m.
“They’re new this year,” noted Long.
Those attending the Southern Iowa Fair on July 17 will also have the opportunity to see more motor sports action with the IMCA Southern Iowa Fair Special Races starting at 7 p.m.
July 18 at the Southern Iowa Fair will include even more motor sports with the Figure 8 Races, which Long said where first held during the fair in 2012.
“It was a big success,” said Long of the Figure 8 Races this past year.
This day will also include events like the Children’s Cookie Decorating Contest. Long said this is typically a favorite event.
Southern Iowa Fair events on July 18 will conclude with a 4-H and FFA Teen Dance from 9 to 11 p.m.
For a complete listing of events scheduled for this year’s fair, visit http://www.southerniowafair.com.
See Tuesday’s Herald for more of what to expect at the 2013 Southern Iowa Fair.
Herald City Editor Andy Goodell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Editor’s Note: This is the first story in a two-part series about the 2013 Southern Iowa Fair.
The Southern Iowa Fair will be here before too long.
- Local News
- Oskaloosa city officials working on strategic plan
- Georgiana engages community OSKALOOSA — It’s been 30 years since the musical “Georgiana” was last produced in Oskaloosa, and nine years since Randall Wright last directed a play. Both of those change next week when the musical performs July 17, 18, and 19 at 7 p.m. at the Geor
- 'Georgiana' Iola Cadwallader's family story brought to life OSKALOOSA — At precisely 7 p.m. July 17, “Georgiana” will once again come to life on an Oskaloosa stage. The musical was first performed in 1980 by The Oskaloosa Community Theatre.Written by Iola Cadwallader, “Georgiana” is a musical titled after the
- People learn to show plants at the Fair OSKALOOSA — Local residents learned how to show plants at The Southern Iowa Fair at a Tuesday evening class at the Iowa State University Extension Office.Suzette Striegel, horticulturist at the Mahaska County Extension Office, said that the purpose o
- Kraig Van Hulzen fills vacant seat OSKALOOSA — There will be a new member of the Oskaloosa School Board when the group convenes for its August meeting. The board met Tuesday night with the evening ending with the appointment of Kraig Van Hulzen as a new board member.Board member Charl
- 'Georgiana' crew has wish list OSKALOOSA — The cast and crew of “Georgiana” have a wish list of props they need for their production and they hope the public can help find them.“Georgiana” is written by Iola Powell Cadwallader and details her family's life from 1918 to 1957. The p
- Oskaloosa Storm win Wisconsin Ho Down Tournament; 2014 state runner-up OSKALOOSA — The Oskaloosa Storm 12U baseball team went 5-0 in the Wisconsin Dells.The Storm played their first pool game against the Chicago Diamond Dawgs and won with a score of 10-8. The second pool game was against the Wisconsin Greenfield Jr. H
- Elderly woman accused of killing 89-year-old husband
- Do you know what this is?
- Oskaloosa has plan to deal with Ash Borer OSKALOOSA — The Emerald Ash Borer has been found in Eddyville, and the city of Oskaloosa has a plan to deal with the situation.The Emerald Ash Borer is a small, metallic-green beetle from Asia that arrived in Detroit in about 2002. The insect has bee
- More Local News Headlines