It was a good opportunity for this intern.
Josh Stutting provided the Oskaloosa City Council with a presentation about his experience as an intern with the Oskaloosa Police Department at Monday’s regular meeting.
Stutting, a recent graduate from William Penn University, said he had a “really good experience” as an intern with the OPD.
The goal of the internship was to get an accurate depiction of what it is like being an OPD officer, said Stutting.
Stutting said he expected to run errands, make coffee and watch and listen during his internship. However, it was a bit different than that.
“I was to act as an officer would act,” said Stutting. “I was to assist as much as the officer I was with felt was safe and I was to get directly involved with tasks as much as possible.”
Professionalism and being consistently challenged were also part of the internship, said Stutting.
“I was pushed to become better every day and I got hands-on involvement with a lot of different situations,” Stutting said.
The internship helped Stutting grow as a person, he said. Stutting noted that he now knows who he is and where he’s going in life.
“I know I’m going into law enforcement,” he said.
In other business, the council:
• Approved a motion to approve the request by the Cellar Peanut Pub at 206 Rock Island Ave. for outdoor entertainment, alcohol consumption outside building premises and a temporary variance from the noise ordinance.
• Approved the first reading of an ordinance amending the city code of Oskaloosa by amending provisions pertaining to Chapter 10.24 — stop and yield requirements; and Chapter 10.48 — “Parking Regulations Generally,” Section 10.48.240 — “No Parking Zones.”
• Heard a report from Sherry Vavra, executive director of Mahaska Community Recreation Foundation on quarterly activities.
• Approved a resolution establishing pedestrian crosswalk locations within the city of Oskaloosa.
• Approved a resolution approving the contract and bond for the South Seventh Street (A Avenue to Sixth Avenue) Pavement Rehabilitation Project to Norris Asphalt Paving Co. in an amount not to exceed $383,240.
• Approved a resolution amending the scope of improvements for the North Green Street Paving Project in the amount of $44,463 and authorizing the city clerk to issue payment and transfer funds for the improvements.
• Approved a resolution adopting a standard rule regarding the effect of a council member’s abstention when not required by a conflict of interest.
• Approved a motion approving and authorizing the mayor to execute an agreement between the city and Martens & Company, CPA, LLP for auditing services fiscal years 2013, 2014 and 2015.
• Approved a resolution to authorize the 2013 Spring Clean Up Program.
• Heard a report from Oskaloosa City Manager Michael Schrock Jr. on the South Central Regional Airport Agency meeting date, time and location. The SCRAA will host an informational meeting 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Joan Kuyper Farver Auditorium at the Pella Community Center, 712 Union, in Pella.
Herald City Editor Andy Goodell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It was a good opportunity for this intern.
- Local News
- Osky Indian Booster Club raises money at golf tourney OSKALOOSA — The Oskaloosa Indiana Booster Club hosted its 4th annual Best Ball Golfing event at Oskaloosa Golf Saturday. The festivities began promptly at 12 p.m. and ran through 5 p.m. Many came out to show their support by playing a series of golf
- Young artists show work at Oskaloosa Art Center OSKALOOSA—Several pieces of art were on display at the Oskaloosa Art Center Friday featuring works by kids in local elementary schools. The artists include those from Kindergarten through eighth grade. Briana Bartlett, who teaches art for elementary
- A reminder about garage- and yard-sale signs OSKALOOSA — The Community Improvement Division of the Oskaloosa Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the ordinances pertaining to garage- and yard-sale signs. 17.30.030 General sign and street graphics regulations C. Prohibited Signs. Th
- Sweet Corn Serenade is set for July 31
- Cutting oats for the Fall Festival
- Award-winning Drum & Bugle Corps to perform in Oskaloosa next week OSKALOOSA — William Penn University Athletic Bands will host the defending Drum Corps International Open Class World Champions, the Vanguard Cadets Drum & Bugle Corps from Santa Clara, Calif., Wednesday and Thursday, July 23–24. A junior organization
- Tractor enthusiasts to visit nursing homes Friday OSKALOOSA — If you see a group of tractors driving around town Friday, it’s a group of local tractor enthusiasts paying a visit to local nursing homes.Seniors in various nursing homes will get to see a great lineup of tractors. This is the fourth yea
- 'Georgiana' takes the stage OSKALOOSA — “Georgiana,” a musical by Oskaloosa resident Iola Powell Cadwallader, is showing at the George Daily Auditorium this week.The first showing of the musical was Thursday night, and it will run again tonight and Saturday at 7 p.m.“Georgiana”
- Chicken Bingo a different kind of game OSKALOOSA — Several people gathered by the chicken exhibit for a rousing game of Chicken Bingo Tuesday. The event started promptly at 4 p.m. This was not your typical game of Bingo. While most Bingo games involve humans and chips on a board, this gam
- Blue Zones hold cooking demonstration at farmers' market OSKALOOSA — Two local chefs gave a cooking demonstration at the Oskaloosa Farmers’ Market Tuesday afternoon to show just what you can do with produce you buy there.Renee Edgar and Michael Glesener set up a portable kitchen on the east side of the cit
- More Local News Headlines