By ANDY GOODELL
The Oskaloosa Herald
At Monday’s regular meeting of the Oskaloosa City Council, Councilman Jason Van Zetten provided the council with a report as liaison to the Water Board of Trustees.
Van Zetten said he attended a Water Board of Trustees meeting on Oct. 14 and went over some of the notes he’d made at that meeting. He said salary increases were discussed at the meeting and salaries of similar positions in other cities were part of the discussion.
Van Zetten also noted that at this Oct. 14 meeting the Water Board of Trustees approved an “employee appreciation” line item, according to Van Zetten, who noted that this was to buy everyone lunch once a month. Van Zetten said the Water Board was going to fund this item through the sales of scrap metal.
Van Zetten expressed concern, saying that it seems that the Water Board of Trustees wants to “go in a different direction.”
After a discussion among the Oskaloosa City Council, it was eventually voted on and approved to send a letter to the Water Board of Trustees. This letter would suggest quarterly meetings between the Oskaloosa City Council and the Water Board of Trustees.
In other business, the council:
• Heard a report on quarterly activities from Sherry Vavra, executive director of Mahaska Community Recreation Foundation.
• Heard a follow up report from Miranda Cummings of Kelli Steil — State Farm Insurance regarding the “Celebrate My Drive Campaign.”
• Approved a resolution levying a special assessment against private property for weed cutting by the city in accordance with Section 8.20 of the city code after holding a public hearing on the matter.
• Approved the second reading of an ordinance to vacate and sell 120 feet by 16 ½ feet of the east-west public alley adjacent to 413 N. A St.
• Approved a resolution adopting the proposal for employee health insurance from Sun Life Financial with Wellmark as administrator and ClassicBlue PPO, the pharmacy benefit management services from Catamaran, the flex plan administered by Wage Works and the Cobra administered by Tasc beginning Nov. 1, 2013, through June 30, 2014.
• Approved a resolution establishing a “Little Free Library” partnership with the Altrusa Club of Oskaloosa.
• Approved a resolution scheduling a public hearing to amend the zoning ordinance of the city of Oskaloosa by rezoning the property located at 811 A Ave. W. from Mixed Use Urban Corridor With A Avenue Commercial Corridor Overlay (UC/AV) District to General Commercial with A Avenue Commercial Corridor Overlay (GC/AV) District.
• Approved a resolution scheduling a public hearing to amend the city code of of Oskaloosa by amending provisions pertaining to Title 17 — “Zoning,” Chapter 17.08 — “Zoning District Regulations,” Table 17.08B — “Permitted Uses by Zoning District” to conditionally permit ‘laundry services’ within the Mixed Use Urban Corridor Zoning District and Community Commercial Zoning Districts.
• Approved a resolution scheduling a public hearing to establish a No Parking Zone along the south side of 5th Avenue East, between South 7th Street and South 8th Street.
• Approved a resolution scheduling a public hearing to amend the city code of Oskaloosa by amending provisions pertaining to Title 17 — “Zoning,” Chapter 17.30 — “Sign Regulations,” Section 17.30.030 — “General Sign and Street Graphics Regulation,” subsection 17.30.030 D.1. — “Real Estate Signs.”
• Approved a site plan for redeveloping the property at 1405 A Ave. W. to add a Jimmy John’s restaurant and drive through.
• Approved a site plan for redeveloping the property at 214 Highway 432 to add a seed storage facility for agricultural sales and service.
• Approved a resolution approving the “Agreement Under Iowa Code Chapter 28E for Emergency Hazardous Materials Assistance.”
• Approved a resolution scheduling a public hearing for Monday, Nov. 18, 2013, to consider levying a special assessment against private property for cleaning up a property at 411 N. B St. in accordance with Oskaloosa City Code 8.08.080, and directing notice to the owners of the property to be assessed.