By ANDY GOODELL
The Oskaloosa Herald
During the community comments portion of Monday's regular meeting of the Oskaloosa City Council, several individuals voiced their thoughts on the proposed regional airport project.
The 28E agreement between the city of Oskaloosa, city of Pella and Mahaska County, in particular, garnered some comments. There were those who expressed concern over the proposed regional airport and brought up a vote held on the matter several years ago. Other concerns from those speaking at the meeting included the possible cost of the regional airport, why the project was necessary and the impact on farming.
There was also one individual from Pella, Luke Martz, who said he was in favor of the airport, saying it was a valuable infrastructure project. Martz pointed to economic benefits and increased safety as his reasons for supporting the project.
Tim Van Maanen, of Leighton, spoke during the community comments portion of the meeting. Van Maanen expressed concern about “misinformation” about the regional airport project.
Van Maanen expressed concern about the cost of the project as well as the idea of a “crosswind runway” at Monday's meeting.
A total of seven individuals from areas including Leighton and Pella spoke during the community comments portion of the meeting.
In other business, the council:
• Heard a report on the annual activities at the YMCA from Executive Director Dawn Collins.
• Approved a request from Mahaska Ruritan Club for approval of the Farmers' Market.
• Approved a request from Mahaska Community Recreation Foundation for closure of streets for RAGBRAI events.
• Approved a request from the Cellar Peanut Pub, 206 Rock Island Ave., for outdoor entertainment, alcohol consumption outside building premises and a temporary variance from the noise ordinance for an event on May 11, 2013.
• Denied a request from John Gountanis for reduction of sanitary sewer charges for the property he owns at 807 Second Ave. W.
• Approved appointing Wyatt Russell to the Board of Adjustment.
• Approved the first reading of an ordinance to amend the zoning ordinance of the city of Oskaloosa by rezoning the property at 202 S. 11th St. from R-2, Urban Family Residential, to CC, Community Commercial District after holding a public hearing on the matter.
• Approved the second reading on an ordinance amending the city code of the city of Oskaloosa by amending provisions pertaining to Chapter 10.24 — Stop and Yield Requirements; and Chapter 10.48 — “Parking Regulations Generally,” Section 10.48.240 — “No Parking Zones.”
• Approved the first reading of an ordinance amending the city code of Oskaloosa by deleting Oskaloosa city ordinance No. 736 and No. 741.
• Approved a resolution approving a purchase agreement for real estate located at 204 N. C St.
Herald City Editor Andy Goodell can be reached at email@example.com.