By ANDY GOODELL
The Oskaloosa Herald
Oskaloosa City Manager Michael Schrock Jr. provided the Oskaloosa City Council with updates on numerous infrastructure projects at Monday’s regular meeting.
Schrock began by discussing projects that had recently been completed including ones at Highway 432, South 7th Street and the East Mall Parking Lot Project.
A project along C Avenue East is underway. Oskaloosa Public Works Director Akhilesh Pal said they’re expected to have that project completed by mid November.
A small project on 1st Avenue East was also discussed by Schrock at Monday’s meeting. Schrock noted that the project was a “win-win” between the city council and property owners.
The West End Sanitary Sewer Project was also touched upon by Schrock. He said the city would receive reimbursement from the Iowa Department of Transportation with this project.
Schrock also discussed a possible project on 3rd Avenue East, which is tentatively slated for 2014.
A possible joint project with University Park also earned some discussion from Schrock Monday.
The Oskaloosa Fire Department’s Fire Station No. 1 was discussed by Schrock, as well. He said they’re looking at whether to remodel or build a new building. Voter approval would be needed in this process.
Highway 63 improvements were also discussed by Schrock. A study regarding these improvements was recently completed, he said. More information on Highway 63 is anticipated on Oct. 21.
A regional airport facility project continues to be underway, according to Schrock. He said that project remains in the environmental study phase. The facility should be operational by 2021 if everything goes as expected, said Schrock.
In other business, the council:
• Approved the first reading of an ordinance vacating the east-west public alley adjacent to 413 N. A St., and for the sale of said public alley right-of-way after holding a public hearing on the matter.
• Approved the second reading of an ordinance to amend Title 17 — “Zoning,” Chapter 17.28 — “Off-Street Parking” of the city of Oskaloosa zoning ordinance providing amendments for off-street parking design standards and parking for personal and recreational vehicles.
• Approved the third reading of an ordinance to amend the zoning ordinance of the city of Oskaloosa by rezoning the property at 214 Highway 432 from Mixed Use Urban Corridor with A Avenue Corridor Overlay (UC/AV) District to General Commercial (GC) District.
• Approved a resolution scheduling a public hearing for Nov. 4 to consider levying a special assessment against private property for weed cutting by the city in accordance with Section 8.20 of the city code of the city of Oskaloosa and directing notice to the owners of the property to be assessed.
• Approved a motion approving Pay Request No. 1 to Delong Construction Inc. in the amount of $84,690.14 for work completed on the West Area Sanitary Sewer Improvements Project.
• Approved holding a closed session under Iowa Code Section 20.17(3) to discuss collective bargaining strategy.
Herald City Editor Andy Goodell can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.