November 4, 2013

Herald to post live blog of Oskaloosa city election

The Oskaloosa Herald


Voters will go to the polls Tuesday to elect representatives to their city governments.

Polls are open for Oskaloosa and University Park residents from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. The polls are open from noon to 8 p.m. in the cities of Barnes City, Beacon, Fremont, Keomah Village, Leighton, New Sharon and Rose Hill.

The Oskaloosa Herald will have a live blog of the Oskaloosa city election from the Mahaska County Courthouse posted on its Website at www.oskaloosa.com. Tuesday night. The Herald also will post election results on the Website that night and in the Thursday print edition of the newspaper.

In order to vote, you only need to be a U.S. citizen who is 18 years old or older who is registered to vote in your respective community and live within its corporate limits.

The Mahaska County Auditor's Office has drafted a list of answers to last-minute voter concerns.

What if I go to the polls and they tell me I can’t vote because I requested an absentee ballot?

If have your unvoted ballot, you can surrender it at the polls and vote in the usual manner. If you do not have your unvoted absentee ballot, you can vote a provisional ballot, which will be put into an envelope. On Wednesday, Nov. 6, the Special Precinct Board will consider provisional ballots.


What do I do if I have moved since the last time I voted?

If you still live in the county where you were last registered to vote, go to the polling site for your new address. Take a current picture identification with your current address with you. You will be asked to complete a voter registration form with your new address, and you can vote in the usual manner. If your ID is not current, call the Audtior’s office (641) 673-7148 for additional instructions.


What if I don’t have my voter registration card any more?

If you are registered at the correct precinct, you do not need your voter registration card to vote. If you are asked for identification, show your current driver’s license or other picture identification.


What if I go to the polls and they tell me I am at the wrong precinct?

You will be directed to the correct precinct and you can vote there.


What if I go to the polls and they tell me I am not registered to vote?

You can register to vote at the polls on Election Day. You will be required to show proof of residency and proof of identity. The best form of ID is a valid Iowa driver’s license with current address. If your Iowa driver’s license has an old address on it, contact the Auditor’s office (641) 673-7148 for additional requirements.


Can another voter attest for me if I do not have proof of residence or identity?

If you do not have proof of residence and identity, a registered voter in the precinct may attest to the fact that you are who you say you are and that you live in the precinct you say you live in.

If you have a registered voter in the precinct attest to your residence and identity, you will both be required to sign an oath. Falsely attesting or being attested for is a class “D” felony.

If you do not have proof of residence or identity and do not have anyone who can attest to your residence and identity, you will be allowed to vote a provisional ballot. You will have until noon, Wednesday, Nov. 6, to present the proper I.D. information in the Auditor’s Office. The special precinct board will meet Wednesday, Nov. 6, to consider provisional ballots.