Letter to the editor:
Although it may seem like a strange “appreciation” request, it is fitting for Mahaska County residents to remember those who care for the graves of their ancestors and loved ones. In fact, May was named as “Cemetery Appreciation Month” by Governor Chet Culver. The proclamation reads as follows:
“WHEREAS, Iowans are aware of the need to preserve the rich heritage contained in Iowa’s pioneer historical cemeteries; and
WHEREAS, this appreciation of their ancestor’s resting places, develops a sense of pride in their ancestors’ accomplishments and in their communities; and
WHEREAS, pride and respect for our pioneers leads to an interest in and concern for the future. It is with this thought in mind we dedicate this month to the care of our pioneer cemeteries.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Chester J. Culver, Governor of the State of Iowa, do hereby proclaim the month of May, 2007, as CEMETERY APPRECIATION MONTH.
Mahaska County has within its boundaries more than 80 cemeteries, and approximately 44 of these burial sites have been designated as “pioneer cemeteries.” These are defined as having six or fewer burials within the past fifty years. They are unique vestiges of Iowa’s cultural heritage and have been referred to as “outdoor museums.” If you would like to know more about the preservation of historic burial sites in Mahaska County, contact Jo Vernooy at 1240-235th Street, Leighton, IA 50143-8023, phone 641-673-8122 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mahaska County Pioneer Cemetery Commission is so grateful to all of the volunteers who help with our Pioneer Cemeteries in Mahaska County. We are also appreciative of the support of our County Supervisors who have the vision and the foresight to recognize the importance of these burial places.
Jo A. Vernooy
The Mahaska County Pioneer Cemetery Association
Letter to the editor:
- Letters to the Editor
- America needs farmland more than an airport
- Let city, county officials know how you feel about the regional airport
- Airport opponents are regular folks — just like you, writer says
- Mahaska County Thrift Store is a gem
- Thanks for making final Daffodil Days a success
- Congress created mess at Postal Service
- Supervisor wants to hear input, advice from electorate
- Mark Doland would make a good public servant
- Tom Rielly has experience to be a county supervisor
- Tom Rielly best qualified to be supervisor
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines