Pleasantville — A Pleasantville family lost their home to a trailer fire last night, and the school district is collecting donations to help the victims.
Pleasantville Fire Chief Jordan Ven Ness told the Journal-Express that a trailer in the Pleasan Village Trailer Park was lost in a grease fire Wednesday evening. One occupant, Patrick Zubrod, was home at the time. According to Van Ness, Zubrod said he was cooking and something "popped," which caused the fire.
Van Ness said he arrived on the scene within minutes and most of the trailer was already engulfed in flames. The majority of the fire was knocked down by the first engine on the scene, with the rest of the fire extinguished within 20 minutes.
Pleasantville Emergency Services was assisted on the call by the Pleasantville Police Department, Marion County Sheriff's Department, Knoxville Fire/Rescue and Knoxville Rural Fire Department. The closest hydrant to fight the fire was buried, which forced the fire department to run a line across Business HIghway 5. The Sheriff's Department closed the road for a couple of hours for this reason.
Van Ness and Pleasantville Police Chief Joe Mrstik said there was nothing suspicious about the fire and no further investigation is being conducted. Van Ness reminds the public not to throw water on a grease fire, as it causes the fire to spread. He was unsure whether or not that happened with this fire.
There were no injuries during the fire, but the trailer was a total loss. The family lost everything in the fire. The Pleasantville School District is collecting donations for the family.
Patrick Zubrod, the father, wears 2XL tops and 36/38 pants. His wife, Danyelle Zubrod, wears XL tops and size 33 pants.
The couple have a three-year-old girl who wears size 4T clothes and size 5 shoes. They also have a nine-year-old girl who wears youth size large clothes (10-12) and size 7 women's shoes. The e-mail sent to parents also requests household items such as blankets, bedding, pillows, towels and kitchenware.
Cash donations are also being accepted. Checks can be made out to Danyelle Zubrod. Donations can be brought to the high school or elementary school.
Mrstik said, to his knowledge, the family is staying with relatives at this time.